Employment Opportunity: Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Posting Date: August 1 2018
Closing Date: 5:00 p.m. August 15 2018
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Hours: 37.5 hours/week, typically Monday – Friday (sometimes Tuesday – Saturday) with occasional evenings.
Starting Wage/Salary: $25/hour (equates to approximately $48,900 annually)
Duration: Permanent (following a 6-month probationary period)
The Yukon Art Society seeks an Executive Director who is passionate about the arts and interested in working with visual artists, art patrons, and the public to promote the visual arts and artists in the Yukon. We are looking for someone with an arts background and strong management/administrative skills who is organized, articulate, strategic and a team player.
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the Yukon Art Society / Arts Underground, working under the direction of the Board of Directors. The incumbent will also be responsible for mounting innovative and creative exhibitions and artwork displays that appeal to a wide cross-section of the general public.
A typical day might include: generating a monthly financial report and assessing it against the annual budget; meeting with a member artist to discuss their upcoming exhibition; working on a grant proposal for a special curatorial project; responding to inquiries from media contacts regarding current exhibitions; providing orientation to a new staff member; hiring a contractor for equipment maintenance; receiving a drop-in from an artist looking for suggestions regarding online sales opportunities; and staffing an after-hours reception.
- Experience and/or training in the visual arts
- Experience in grant proposal and report writing
- Management experience – including people, budgets and marketing
- Proficiency in the use of computers for word processing, financial management, social media, website management, and e-mail communication
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Relevant post-secondary education or comparable experience in a relevant field
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and/or reporting to a board
- Curatorial training or experience
- Graphic design training and/or experience
- Facility management and/or retail operation experience
- Ability to think strategically, prioritize, and problem solve
- Ability to build positive relationships internally and externally
- Ability to work independently and in a team situation
- Proficiency with Sage or other accounting software
- Knowledge of Yukon visual artists and the Yukon arts community
- Comfortable working in an environment with frequent interruptions
Benefits include: a discount on Arts Underground workshops and in-house art supply purchases.
How to Apply:
Applicants may apply by email or in person with a cover letter and resume. Short-listed applicants will be asked to provide references. Applications should be directed to:
Attn: HR Committee
Arts Underground / Yukon Art Society
15 - 305 Main Street
Whitehorse YT Y1A 2B4
Phone: (867) 667-4080
The Yukon Art Society (YAS) was founded in April of 1970. Not only is it the oldest visual arts organization in the Yukon, but with a membership of around 150 members, it is the largest. The size and longevity of YAS can be explained in part by our inclusiveness policy. Any visual artist, at any stage of development, working in any medium, is welcome to become a member of YAS. Our mandate is to foster the creative and professional development of Yukon visual artists at all levels through exhibitions, education, networking and complementary activities with wide community appeal.
Arts Underground is a community space dedicated to the exploration, teaching and presentation of visual arts and heritage through a partnership between the Yukon Art Society (YAS), Yukon Arts Centre (YAC), Friends of the Yukon Archives Society (FOYAS), and MacBride Museum of Yukon History. The space and utilities are generously donated by the Hougen Group of Companies. The facility houses the Hougen Heritage Gallery and Yukon Art Society offices, galleries, studio, gallery shop and art supply store.