Job opportunity: Executive Director / Curator
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR / CURATOR
Posting Date: June 12 2018
Closing Date: 5:00 p.m. June 29 2018
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Hours: 37.5 hours/week, typically Monday – Friday (sometimes Tuesday – Saturday) with occasional evenings.
Starting Wage/Salary: $23/hour (equates to $45,000 annually)
Duration: Permanent (following a 6-month probationary period)
The Yukon Art Society seeks an Executive Director / Curator who is passionate about the arts and interested in working with visual artists, art patrons, and the public to promote the visual arts and artists in the Yukon. We are looking for someone with an arts background who is organized, articulate, strategic, and a team player who has demonstrated potential to be an inspirational leader.
The Executive Director / Curator is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the Yukon Art Society according to the direction set by the Board of Directors, including management of the Arts Underground facility. The incumbent will also be responsible for mounting innovative and creative exhibitions and artwork displays that appeal to a wide cross-section of the general public.
A typical day might include: generating a monthly financial report and assessing it against the annual budget; meeting with a member artist to discuss their upcoming exhibition; working on a grant proposal for a special curatorial project; responding to inquiries from media contacts regarding current exhibitions; hiring a contractor for equipment maintenance; receiving a drop-in from an artist looking for suggestions regarding online sales opportunities; and staffing an after-hours reception.
- Substantial experience and/or training in the visual arts
- Curatorial training or experience, or demonstrated potential to develop in this area through other relevant experience
- Financial management training and/or experience
- Marketing and graphic design training and/or experience
- Proficiency in the use of computers for word processing, financial management, social media, website management, and e-mail communication
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Relevant post-secondary education or comparable experience in a relevant field
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and/or reporting to a board
- Experience in grant proposal and report writing
- Supervisory experience
- Facility management and/or retail operation experience
- Ability to think strategically, prioritize, and problem solve
- Ability to build positive relationships internally and externally
- Ability to work independently and in a team situation
- Proficiency with Sage or other accounting software
- Knowledge of Yukon visual artists and the Yukon arts community
- Comfortable working in an environment with frequent interruptions
- 4% vacation pay, increasing to 5% after one year of continuous employment with the Yukon Art Society, and 6% after 5 years of continuous employment
- 5 days (3.75 hours) paid sick leave accrued per month
- 2 paid days of bereavement leave following the death of a family member, plus 3 unpaid days which can be taken before and/or after the death, for a maximum of 2 occasions of bereavement per fiscal year
- 25% off art supplies from the in-house art store
- 10% off workshops
- Workshop credit, accrued monthly
- Free membership to the Yukon Art Society
How to Apply:
Applicants may apply by email or in person with a cover letter and resume. Short-listed applicants will be asked to provide references. Applications should be directed to:
Attn: HR Committee
Arts Underground / Yukon Art Society
15 - 305 Main Street
Whitehorse YT Y1A 2B4
Phone: (867) 667-4080
The Yukon Art Society (YAS) was founded in April of 1970. Not only is it the oldest visual arts organization in the Yukon, but with a membership of around 150 members, it is the largest. The size and longevity of YAS can be explained in part by our inclusiveness policy. Any visual artist, at any stage of development, working in any medium, is welcome to become a member of YAS. Our mandate is to foster the creative and professional development of Yukon visual artists at all levels through exhibitions, education, networking and complementary activities with wide community appeal.
Arts Underground is a community space dedicated to the exploration, teaching and presentation of visual arts and heritage through a partnership between the Yukon Art Society (YAS), Yukon Arts Centre (YAC), Friends of the Yukon Archives Society (FOYAS), and MacBride Museum of Yukon History. The space and utilities are generously donated by the Hougen Group of Companies. The facility houses the Hougen Heritage Gallery and Yukon Art Society offices, galleries, studio, gallery shop and art supply store.